To Japan and back in a day!

Recently, I got to attend  a lunch hosted by the Ambassador of Japan in Senegal. He invited all the former Japanese government scholarship recipients who are now residing in Senegal in order to see if we could lend a hand in improving cooperation between the two countries.

I attended with the hubby and got to meet all the people I spent time with when I was studying in Japan. I had kept in touch with some over the years through Facebook mostly but other I have not seen in 16 years. It was such a pleasure to get to see them and talk. And when I got to talk to do that, I realized that they all have great jobs working for themselves or for a company. I was sitting in a room full of people with brains and smarts, and it gave me a chill to think about all the potential. It brings to my husband and I hope that we also can be successful in our own country.

Moreover I got to directly talk to the Ambassador. He seems to be a man of great poise. He took the time to talk to each and everyone of us about our journey in Japan but also about what we did after we graduated. He seems to be eager to use us to promote Japan better. However I have the feeling he does not quite know how yet. Nevertheless it was great to sit at his table in his beautiful yet simply decorated house, eating Japanese food.

But You are not here to read me brag about my day, you are just interested in what I wore.

When I heard about the event, I was dead set on wearing my new "Taille Basse" (kind of a "traditional" peplum top with wrap around skirt outfit that has been trending back home) that I had worn for Eid. But the hubby found the outfit too flashy. (what does he know anyway?) Since I am a good wife, I listened and went to look for something less flashy and more suitable for the occasion. Three days before the lunch, I had found this lovely red and black printed midi dress in my closet. I styled it and although I found it to be too red, I was still happy about my choice. I took pictures and sent them to my family to get their approval. Everyone was OK with it except my Baby brother who found the outfit to be quite old.  I defended it, but the more I did, the more I started to dislike my choice (thanks Bro!). In the end, I opted for something else:


Scarf - Lakshmi road market
Open Kimono - Forever 21
Bodysuit - H&M
Pleated skirt - Forever 21
Bag - M.G. road
Shoes - Next
Watch - Gifted
Necklace - Charming Charlie


As usual I went for comfort even though the heels of my pumps were super high. I was grateful I did not have to walk to the event. But the skirt was perfect. I felt at ease and I could concentrate on talking to people instead of worrying about whether I was wearing something  appropriate or not. Seeing the other invited ladies rocking something a bit similar to my outfit also helped. However, next time (if ever there is a next time), I am wearing something traditional no matter what the hubby says.




If you are wondering what might be appropriate to wear at a lunch or event at an Embassy, read my post about it here.




Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes